Intro to Programming – Scratch Part 1
Course Syllabus and Lesson PlannerCourse Info: Download PDF
This course is written for beginners in the k – 5 grade levels. Studnets will learn a kid friendly programming language called Scratch. Throughout the course there will be quizzes and projects that will test the skills you have learned.Description:
In this course there are 7 modules that cover everything from the introduction of Scratch to sharing your projects.
- Module 1 covers the introduction to Scratch and lets you know where to access it.
- Module 2 covers painting in vector and bitmap.
- Module 3 helps you understand the basics of scripts.
- Module 4 covers more advanced parts of scripts.
- Module 5 covers using costumes.
- Module 6 shows you how to add and edit sounds.
- Module 7 shows you the options available for sharing and remixing your projects.
As an elective course, we recommend one or two modules / week. Therefore, we feel that this course should take approximately 6 weeks to complete all modules/quizzes, and leave time to study, and take, the final exam. (See Lesson Plan below)
Course Prerequisites (if applicable):none
- Computer– Students must have access to a computer with internet access and an internet browser. Simply STEM has been successfully tested using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. In addition, we have tested many versions of smart phone/tablet browsers as well.
Internet Access – Although results may vary, based on connection type and speeds, we have tested our online videos on DSL, Satellite, Cable, and cellular connections. Our courses cannot be download and require internet access to view them.
Grading will be based on quizzes, project uploads, and teacher requirements.Lesson Plan:
|Module 1 – Introduction||Week 1|
|Module 2 – Painting in Vector and Bitmap Mode||Week 2|
|Module 2 – Quiz||Week 2|
|Module 2 – Project||Week 2|
|Module 3 – Scripts: Part 1||Week 3|
|Module 3 – Quiz||Week 3|
|Module 3 – Project||Week 3|
|Module 4 – Scripts: Part 2||Week 4|
|Module 4 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 4 – Project||Week 4|
|Module 5 – Costumes||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Project||Week 5||Module 6 – Sounds||Week 5|
|Module 6 – Quiz||Week 6|
|Module 6 – Project||Week 6||Module 7 – Sharing and remixing your projects||Week 7|
|Module 7 – Quiz||Week 7|
|Module 7 – Project||Week 7|
|Final Project||Week 7|
|Study for Final Exam||Week 6|
|Final Exam||Week 6|