Intro to Computing
Course Syllabus and Lesson PlannerCourse Info: Download PDF
This course is written for students in the 6-12 grade level. Students will learn all about the world of computing, from its history to the parts that go into a computer, to some basic networking. There will be quizzes to test the knowledge that you learned.Description:
In this course there are 6 modules that cover everything from the history of computing to how computers communicate and network with one another.
- Module 1 covers the history of computing from earliest beginnings to now.
- Module 2 covers key hardware components that all pc’s use.
- Module 3 covers hardware peripherals that one may use with a computer.
- Module 4 covers operating systems.
- Module 5 covers applications.
- Module 6 goes over communication and networking.
As an elective course, we recommend one or two modules / week. Therefore, we feel that this course should take approximately 6 weeks to complete all modules/quizzes, and leave time to study, and take, the final exam. (See Lesson Plan below)
Course Prerequisites (if applicable):none
- Computer– Students must have access to a computer with internet access and an internet browser. Simply STEM has been successfully tested using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. In addition, we have tested many versions of smart phone/tablet browsers as well.
Internet Access – Although results may vary, based on connection type and speeds, we have tested our online videos on DSL, Satellite, Cable, and cellular connections. Our courses cannot be download and require internet access to view them.
Grading will be based on quizzes, project uploads, and teacher requirements.Lesson Plan:
|Module 1 – The History of Computing||Week 1|
|Module 1 – Quiz||Week 1|
|Module 2 – Hardware: Core Components||Week 2|
|Module 2 – Quiz||Week 2|
|Module 3 – Hardware: Peripherals||Week 3|
|Module 3 – Quiz||Week 3|
|Module 4 – Software: Operating Systems||Week 4|
|Module 4 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Software: Applications||Week 5|
|Module 5 – Quiz||Week 5|
|Module 6 – Communication/Networking||Week 6|
|Module 6 – Quiz||Week 6|
|Study for Final Exam||Week 6|
|Final Exam||Week 6|