Build Your Own PC
Course Syllabus and Lesson PlannerCourse Info: Download PDF
This course is written for the grade levels of 6-12. Students will learn about the different parts of a computer and then how to actually put all of those parts together to make a PC. Throughout the course the student will follow along and by the end should have a fully functional PC.Description:
In this course there are 6 modules that cover how to build a pc from start to finish.
- Module 1 covers the basics.
- Module 2 covers the different parts and their functions.
- Module 3 covers the case and motherboard.
- Module 4 shows you how to install the power supply and drives.
- Module 5 shows you how to properly connect the computer cables.
- Module 6 shows you how to properly reassemble the case and install an operating system.
As an elective course, we recommend one or two modules / week. Therefore, we feel that this course should take approximately 5 weeks to complete all modules/quizzes, and leave time to study, and take, the final exam. (See Lesson Plan below)
Course Prerequisites (if applicable):none
- Computer– Students must have access to a computer with internet access and an internet browser. Simply STEM has been successfully tested using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. In addition, we have tested many versions of smart phone/tablet browsers as well.
Internet Access – Although results may vary, based on connection type and speeds, we have tested our online videos on DSL, Satellite, Cable, and cellular connections. Our courses cannot be download and require internet access to view them.
Grading will be based on quizzes, project uploads, and teacher requirements.Lesson Plan:
|Module 1 – The Basics||Week 1|
|Module 1 – Quiz||Week 1|
|Module 2 – Parts||Week 1|
|Module 2 – Quiz||Week 1|
|Module 3 – Case and Motherboard||Week 2|
|Module 3 – Quiz||Week 2|
|Module 4 – Hard Drives and Power Supply||Week 3|
|Module 4 – Quiz||Week 3|
|Module 5 – Connecting the Power Cables||Week 3|
|Module 5 – Quiz||Week 3||Module 6 – Reassembling the Case and OS Install||Week 4|
|Module 6 – Quiz||Week 4|
|Study for Final Exam||Week 5|
|Final Exam||Week 5|